Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Sweet Serenity of Books

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

One of the most precious gifts I received as a child was the Love of Reading. I grew up in a home where books and the site of adults reading was commonplace. I remember my parents reading to my sister and I, as well as my grandmother, aunt, great aunt, sitters....everyone fostered a love of reading. Visiting with my Great Grandmother and having her show me one of her favorite books as a young girl the same age as I was at the time, Little Lord Fauntleroy, is a treasured memory. She gave me my great grandfather's copy that he had received in the 1890's as a gift from his Aunt to read and allowed me to keep it.
The image Book Girl from Melissa at MelJen's immediately struck a chord with me and brought back fond memories of story time at home and dragging home books from the Library. It was there I fell in love with Paddington Bear, Bread and Jam for Francis and so many others. I still have a corner in the front room for the stacks of Library books we drag home.  I found this Chinese proverb and decided to make a 'BOOK' book mark. I had been racking my brain trying to come up with something for the MelJen's Challenge this week of no more than 2 layers in your project. (I didn't count the cut out image as a layer). I decided on this layout that hopefully looks like a the front cover of a book with a bookmark.




 One of the things I have most enjoyed with the three lil granddaughter's that are currently staying with us is reading stories to them and being able to take them to story time at the Library. The kids favorite part of the program is when George and Gracie, the Library's resident puppets, take a few minutes to introduce the theme for the day.

Sage was still in school when this was taken. Miss Jade is the lil girl in blue with the fun giggles and Rane is the lil one in purple. Love the face on the lil guy in the back, he's a corker for sure.


You can find Melissa's new releases HERE  and the scoop on this week's challenge HERE.

Thanks for stopping by and may your life be filled with many wonderful books and stories....

1 comment: